The Imaginarium of J.M. Adkison

A Great and Terrible Dream

Published by J. M. Adkison under on 9:51 PM
I had the weirdest dream last night...

That's how these tales usually go. For me, this phrase is a usual part of my morning. My sisters can both attest, I do have weird dreams-and if I don't tell someone about my dream than I will go crazy.

So, here I am telling the world about my dream.

A dream that was both great and terrible.

I can't really remember the beginning of the dream...I guess dreams really never have a beginning, they just begin somewhere in the middle of a story, randomly in the order of events. We all know a dream ends, but it doesn't finish. We always seem to cut them short by waking up. Who knows, would they even finish if we slept for a hundred years?

The first thing I remember was a church. An abandoned, ruined and decrepit church. I was digging for something in the dirt: a box. I found the box, but did not open it. Maybe I did open, but I have no idea what the content of the box was. Don't even ask me why I was digging for it.

Whatever the reasons were, I remember the feeling. I was scared and kept looking over my shoulder. I kept making sure they didn't find me. The character Wesley from the Princess Bride was keeping watch for me, making sure who ever I was afraid of didn't find me. At least, it was a man dressed in Wesley's black uniform, blond hair and black mask, with a black-gloved hand on the hilt of his saber. We were both afraid, but very brave for finding the box.

The world was like the church. Desolate. It was desert wastelands for as far as the eye could see. No life. No green. Just a whole lot of burnt dirt. I knew I was in a dystopia future earth.

A hovercraft picked me and my Princess Bride-fanatic-watchman up just outside of the church. A hovercraft much like the one in the Matrix series. But this would give that hovercraft a run for its money. The one of my dream looked battered and well-used on the outside, but it was much bigger on the inside than it was on the outside. On the inside was all sorts of high-tech gadgetry that was sleek, smart and cool. There were all sorts of smart-looking tech whizzes that were typing away at their computers. All of them were making sure we were not going to be found. I guess you could say rebels. Rebels against what? I'm not entirely sure.

I always make generalizations about my dreams-just to give them some sort of order. Perhaps it is stupid, trying to give a dream a sense of order when scientists say its just jumble of thoughts. But then why do dreams always seem to have a plot?

As the dream progressed, I learned who I was so afraid of. Invaders. Alien invaders. They came to our planet and seized control of it within a matter of minutes. The tech whizzes pull up massive screens onto the walls of this hovercraft. The kind of screens shown in a omni movie theater. Screens meant to shake you. And shake me they did.

One screen showed dark clouds rolling across the sky. Long, black towers descended from these clouds out of the air, slamming down into the ground below. The towers destroyed whatever was below them. The next screen showed the invaders themselves. They didn't look like aliens ought to look. They looked like humans, except that they were all eight, nine feet tall. Like the nephilim from the Bible. A brute, powerful and cunning race. The screen showed a nine-foot tall woman, who wore a black cloak, with a hood pulled over the top half of her face. She was old, very old. But you could tell she had some sort of authority. Her voice was grave, but stone cold. The screen showed her standing before the U.N., with others of her race standing behind her, also cloaked. They had taken over the world, the U.N. had surrendered.

The next screen showed their leader. A Julius Caesar-like character who stood looking straight into camera, with all sorts of pride and glory. He too was old, but instead of a black cloak he wore a white, billowing cloak. And no hood. He did wear a golden laurel leaf crown. He stood at, like, ten feet tall, at the foot of one of those dark towers. They had won, we had lost.

What was so weird-but this dream was so much more real than all of my other dreams. So much more vivid, but the screens were so strange. So real-looking. The last shot of the dream was that screen with the alien emperor, looking straight into the camera. All pride and glory. I also remember hearing a beeping noise-I think they had found us.

Then I woke up. Just how they always end.

Well, thanks for listening to me about my dreams.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Lipsum

Followers