The Imaginarium of J.M. Adkison

Medicis, Maquerade Masks and More Madness

Published by J. M. Adkison under on 2:16 PM
So I have finally made it to beautiful Florence, Italy (or rather Firenze, Italia as it is more commonly known by the people who are common frequenters of it) after a too much time up in the air. Jan. 19th and 20th were some of the strangest days ever because they were meshed together by the jet lag. When I had landed in Italy and riding the 4 hour bus ride from Rome and thinking about "yesterday" it did not seem like yesterday. Instead, it seemed like I had an unusually long day in which the sun decided to take a nap while I was watching Harry Potter on the screen in front of me.

First off, the Villa is amazing. It is a little more cramped than I thought it would be, but it makes it all the better. The rooms are nice, the people are amazing and the food is fantastic. Right now it is nearing the end of Day 2 here at Harding University in Florence, and my we have had a full last two days.

Jan. 21-We went to Scandicci and toured the little town where the Villa is and I had my first cup of cappuccino (which was a mistake-even a little coffee can make something taste awful) and had 8 courses of pizza (each one with a different topping including french fries). Before dinner, however, we saw an old woman get hit by an Asian woman on a mo-ped. Man, did that little old woman scream and scream and scream. But I guess I would do the same. After dinner, a group of us went to Florence. We decided to kick off the first night by just going into the city by ourselves and walking the streets on our own. Along the way we saw the Duomo, the statue of Perseus holding the Medusa's head, and an opera singer standing on a street corner belting it out (oh and a musician singing James Taylor and the Beetles).)

Jan. 22-Florence again! We toured the city, listening to these handy, but extremely annoying, devices called whisperers that the director or tour guide speaks into. Really, it is just another thing to lose and pay way too much for. However, I did learn about the Medicis, one of the most famous families in history and how they basically ruled Florence-and they did it in style. Even though they were corrupt and mean, if it wasn't for them, Florence would not be the place it is today (plus Ponti Vochio would still be a pig-market, not a gold market). I finished the trip with a nice, small serving of gellato (spelling?)

So all in all, it's going well. I'm just ready to make new friends and get to know people I would never meet on campus otherwise. Oh well...

But to end this on a happy note, you can fully expect the Imaginarium to have a boost in creativity-and nothing boosts creativity like a good masquerade mask!!!

1 comments:

Anonymous said... @ January 23, 2010 at 1:18 PM

This is so exciting! I'm so glad you're enjoying it. That's crazy about that old woman getting hit by that Asian lady! Not that it was an Asian lady who hit her, but that you saw it! Yikes! And you didn't like the cappucino?? You need to put more sugar in it :-) That makes it AWESOME. And gelato... oh, how I miss thee. Not to mention the 8 courses of pizza (although I can't really miss them, since I am still carrying them around with me, if you know what I mean....). Also, I know what you mean about being ready to make new friends, that was a little frustrating for me at first, too.... But like you said, you'll make friends with people you never would have met otherwise and it turns out to be really great. I actually spent a ton of my time hanging out with girls from Ko Jo Kai, believe it or not. Still... I miss you! Post pictures soon!

Post a Comment

 

Lipsum

Followers