The Imaginarium of J.M. Adkison

Something Happier...Like Flying

Published by J. M. Adkison under on 9:11 PM
After writing the 300[reasons why I hate this movie] thought-rant, I felt like I need to write something a little more...happier.
Lately, I have been having the strongest impulse to just jump into the air, kicking my feet off the ground and throwing my arms out wide, and flying into the sky. Sometimes, the impulse is so strong, it seems that if I were to fly, it would be one of the most natural things in the world. As I walk from the cafeteria every night when its getting dark, I look up into the naked tree branches that look like snake fingers interweaving with one another and I can just imagine my-self soaring through them and up into the stars that are beginning to peak out as the sun is stepping over the horizon.
Now I've flown hundreds of times in airplanes-but I don't really count that as flying. That's just sitting in a cramped metal bus with wings attached, trying your best not to elbow the strange man sitting next to you. I do like it when you look out and see all of those great, mountainous clouds that the plane is flying near. However, it would be so much better to actually fly by yourself into those clouds at the speed of sound. Without a care in the world.
When I return to Maine for the summer, it would be so nice to just leap from my back porch, leap right across the Atlantic, and land smack dab in the middle of London. Or take an extra step into Paris. Or a few more to Venice. Or a big leap to Tokyo.
I've been having these urges so strongly lately that I even down-loaded Superman Returns-a movie I think could have been done a whole lot better-just to see somebody fly.
Its no wonder every time I see a shooting star, drop a penny into the fountain or notice the clock says 11:11, I wish "I had the powers of Superman."

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Lipsum

Followers